Saturday, May 22, 2010

graduation

Now the greatest gift any adult can to a child is time. Time spent showing how to catch a baseball, knit a scarf, or help with a chore. The simple task of setting the table for young children can be awesome. An adult can do it faster than a child, and it can be done much faster if you did not have to give instructions.

Children understand this. Whenever I stay late to help, work with struggling student through lunch or attend a school sports game, the students understand that I am giving up my time.

So to is graduation. Teachers are not required to attend but I do anyway, even though I live 40 plus miles away from school. I showed up early and met with the seniors all lined up in their robes. Some I have to blink at to recognize, some shave, many girls have put on make up for the first time. All of mine are excited to see me. "mrs. W....you've dress up"

"just for you Jonathon."

Hugs are all around. Many students are coming over to make sure they meet me and get a comment. Most of mine are going to college and have one type of scholarship or another. My best students have full scholarships. The ones giving speeches are rehearsing their lines. I am tons of support, "remember if you don't pass out or hurl, everything else is a bonus."

I will say this for our school.

When graduation say "6 o'clock" we do not kid. One member of the school board came running in covered in sweat, we would have started without him.

I glance back. They are in our school's tradition of students in a circle swaying back and forth. Some will go to parties, some will go home with families or out to an out of town decent restaurant. This is their moment. I'm done with them, I push the door open, got through, and walk to my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment