Tuesday, March 2, 2010

average just like everybody else

I'm calling parents. 9th grade student is failing my class because if he didn't have bones he'd ooze across the chair. He's that lazy, he answers my questions with a shrug, doesn't do any work. One problems is they do not understand "you do not do work, I will fail you, no problem I will not loose any sleep. God will not strike me dead before grades are due. Nobody will come to your rescue

I start my conversation after introducing with my usual "what can I do to help your child?" this is a nice way of letting the parents know there is a problem and deflecting the issue away from them. After all trying to get a parent to help puts them on the defensive.

The father opines that he doesn't know what the problem is the student does okay. Glance at computer with grades and bite back.."sparky a D is not okay...C is barely okay."

On the other hand I have a student sweating, she almost has an A and a demanding father. I'm thrilled to find he takes time for her to study with her.

Then I called "dumb as a brick, God love him he tries and after time he really gets it." This student is one reason I come in. He's personable and asks good questions, it just takes him time to get it. I was able to tell his mother he got a B and his answers showed understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment