Thursday, September 10, 2009

circle the wagons

Minor science teaching joke.

In science there are independent variables and dependent variables. The strength of an acid is a good example of an independent variable. I can easily use different strength acids to change the speed of a reaction. The speed of the reaction is the dependent variable. Stonger acid, faster reaction. The independent I can change. The dependent variable _depends_ on what the level of the independent variable is. Its not a good definition, I hate using similar words to define things but it is the best I have found.

Test on this stuff, theory, how to measure, scientific method, definitions. No muss no fuss.
"What is an dependent variable?"

"a dependent variable depends on the independent variable for survival."

*blink* *blink*

I really wish I could ask the student who wrote this..."lemme understand this, the constants and the units attack the variables. The independent variables get on the outside to protect the dependent variables from harm..."

More than one student gave me this answer, and no they didn't copy, different sides of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment