Friday, January 1, 2010

how many angels dance on pinheads?

There is a theory that says people learn 3 different ways. Verbally, visually and kinesthetically (physical memory). One of our consultants really harps on it, "your worst students are kinesthetic learners." Now I've done some reading. There is no viable test for learning styles. The tests look more like something out of the self evaluation page in Cosmo magazine. In fact right now learning styles is being questioned as there is no criteria.

In 2 weeks I have to have a 4 day workshop with the consultants. I will loose my cool whenever anybody makes a faux scientific statement. "your worst students..yada yada."

Me "Learning style theory is not viable."

"there is tons of research."

"there's never been a double blind study, besides explain to me how to kinesthetically teach the Gettysburg address."

Now I know what this woman does, she was told this by someone else, who was told by someone else...Nobody in the chain ever looked at the data.

I warn my principal. "tact, I know what that is, holds stuff to my bulletin board."

No comments:

Post a Comment