Sunday, March 1, 2009

wooo-hoooo!

I got my NASA minigrant chekc. For any teacher there is a 500 dollar grant by NASA. The paperwork is very easy, fill out an application form that is easier than a driver's license application and a list of what you want to buy.

I grew up in Florida. I could see the Apollo Moon shots. I wanted to be an astronaut. It did not happen and that is just as well.

So my NASA money is buying model rockets for my students. They must assemble them and they get to launch them. When I told my students the check was in they insisted that I order the rockets that very night.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I had a high school teacher that got us model rockets. 4 years later I had an BS in aeronautical engineering and a commercial pilots license. I switched careers in the middle of grad school (Boeing was laying off in droves) but the thrill of those moments will be with me always.

    Bess you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my first model rockets around the 4th grade('78-'79). I'd spend hours trying to get the paint and decals just right and wait for a clear Saturday to get out to an open field near the school for the launch.

    For some reason, the parachutes in mine never seemed to properly deploy, so when they came back down the remnants weren't reusable. That led me to lose interest in them and save my lunch money for bottle rockets and firecrackers instead. At least there was a bang at the end. :)

    This X-Wing rocket launch is good for a laugh.

    ReplyDelete