Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Reading

One class is fairly bright and is small, so often we finish the lesson early.  Ideally we are supposed to keep them busy, "teach bell to bell" but what happens in a week.  Its JROTC uniform day.  The students are talking about "Hunger games" and the differences between the movie and book. Afterall a class room of girls, I have a _lot_ of _Hunger_Games_ fans.  I have never read the book entirely or watched the movie (okay I "watched" it on the screen of the guy next to me on the flight back from london), but I'm fairly familiar with it.  "You know the real horror is not that the children are killed, but that Capital City can make the children into killers."

A few students nod their heads at this and began talking.  "hey John and Melissa,naming the two JROTC students and then tugging my collar; we don't turn our kids into killers do we."  After a few seconds one of the original conversationists caught my context.

"The army doesn't kill people protests" Melissa.

"Sure it does, the job of the Military is to kill people and break things"

A few rounds, Melissa opins,  "the army protects people."

"sure it does, by killing the bad guys."

A few, including the other JROTC student caught on what I was saying.

The military's job is to kill the enemy of the state when ordered by the state.  Hopefully the state is wise and uses compassion and judgement when ordering these killings.

BTW I am a veteran, the wife, daughter, sister,  and grandaughter of veterans, along with the mother of a soldier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment