Friday, July 2, 2010

why do I do this?

Again this summer I teach an ACT prep class. The goal is to raise students' ACT scores. Last year was a blast, one student after the class raised her score 3 points. They tried. This year we have to hunt them down after a break. As I told the counselor, "we have no way to control them, the only thing we can do is kick them out."

One student said "what do you care, you still get paid." Yea, but if your scores don't go up, the program doesn't get renewed. Our worst offenders are some graduated seniors who are trying to get their grades up enough to get out of remedial college classes. I wish I could wake them up to the economics of it. You have to pay for a class that you get _no_ credit for when taking a remedial class.

One student has potential for a football scholarship. His ACT score sucks. He will not be eligible for college. As I said, "he works nights he has a child which he has assumed responsibiltiy for, he drifts off in class, but he's not gonna make it."

I threatened to quit, and i would if it were not for the fact the class is almost over.

No comments:

Post a Comment