Sunday, January 27, 2019

3D printer

I have finally started using the 3d Printer.  Students may do projects with it, but I am offering them the opportunity to make one item for themselves.

If you can get a 3D printer for your class, do so.
They learn to use the technology and I have something to show administrators. I use a flashforge dreamer.  The two nozzles lets me print the supports and rafts in one color while the project is another.  It makes it easier to clean the project when finished.  Then I can print several things in different colors.


Image result for flashforge dreamer

It was acting up because I am ham fisted when working on it.  I even had it duct taped for a time.

Advice for people.

Watch the youtube videos that show operations.  Check the real people, the troubleshooting guide is of little help.  This "is part broken?"  "replace it".  I know that.  How do I figure out if it is broken.
Do not be afraid to work on it.  Every part can be replaced.  It is hard to break the whole thing.
You can even reprogram it with a scan disk.
Make any tools needed for it.  Check out the internets.  I used Thingiverse for ideas. I needed an alignment block for the dual nozzles.  Thingiverse had one and I used one for another printer also.
Do not troubleshoot when you are tired or frustrated.
Check out the tools you need for it and get them.  Trying to fix the machine with makeshift tools does not work.  I even got some acupuncture style needles to clear clogs.
Check out educational things.  Even things not specific to your class can get students excited.
They play constantly with the clamps I made.  The moon model I made had cracks and needs to be redone.  They cannot wait for me to do that.  Since it takes over 23 hours to print they have to wait.
If you have problems it is probably a clogged nozzle.  Check you settings for the plastic you have.  Check the leveling.  Make sure the platform is cleaned.
I use a lot of alcohol, paper towels to clean.  And stick glue to make it stick to the platform.

Sharpie marker holder

Models of electron orientation

Fractal pyramid

gears.  They can be reset.  I need to make more backs and pegs



No comments:

Post a Comment