Friday, January 15, 2016

sometimes

We have SBE starting at our school for 9th graders...excuse me Level 10 learners.  The powers that be thought it would be easier to do this one grade at a time.
We had a bumper crop of Physical science, a Level 10 course and I picked up the slack for one class.  I decribe my schedule as "challenging".

I have some students where they need to be, most falling behind and not caring and some who just plod.
Some days I do lock step, others they work on what they need to do.  So I spend a lot of time putting out fires.
Yesterday I threw two problem students out, the day before the same with different students.

Today the Asst Principal dealt with the referrals.

We have video in class, so everything they do can be seen.

the assistant principal came by to back me up and told me to keep trying with those students.  He also saw my one class which was packed.  He was astounded how many students were in there and I think his respect for me went up a notch.  Wierd schedule, I teach chemistry 2, 4, 6 and 8 period.  The number of students respectively is 12, 30, 17 and 8.  Go figure.

I was proud to tell him that two of my problem students worked.  I pointed out that these, and a few others, need constant reinforcement, with a large class I cannot give.  I also told him one of the problem students not only did the problem on the board, but explained to three other students how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment