Saturday, October 11, 2014

I am the author, I out rank you

So it is homecoming.

Tradition say teachers sit in the back to monitor.  I'm tired and do not feel like leaning against the wall. The last three rows are taped saying "JROTC".  We have an ROTC program at our school and there is a color guard and a saber team.  The saber team salutes each member of the court.  truly a difficult job to hold that thing in the air and stand there for the entire ceremony  (really no sarcasm here)

So I look around, count jrotc students and decide with the secretary that there is room enough and sit down.  A JROTC student in uniform, whom I did not know, "this is for rotc." 

"that's okay I reply, I'm a veteran."  (translation, "darling I am a full fledged adult and many, many members of my family are not little tin soldiers"  and if a student in uniform needed a seat I would have moved, as we did for a parent)

Eventually the JROTC student commander told student it was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment