Sunday, August 25, 2013

letters of recommendation

As a high school teacher I am asked to write letters of recommendation for students.  I have found some things over time.

1.  Have somebody proofread your letter.  It is hard for somebody to take a recommendation from somebody who does not write well.

2.  When the student asks for the letter, ask for a resume.  "Tell me what you do, remind me.  There may be something important.  Are you a cheerleader, chess club, church leader?"

3.  Be specific.  "John has excellent leadership abilities.  Every lab experiment he is the coordinator for the group."

4.  Key words.  "leadership", "teamwork", "compassion", "effort",  "hardworking", "academic excellence"

5.  Let the reader hear the student.  "in conversations with John, he has told me..."  "other students tell me John likes everybody and never says a bad word about anybody."

6.  Tell the reader what you think the student will add to the institution.

No comments:

Post a Comment