Saturday, May 28, 2011

wanting and having it all

Last week we were cleaning out the shed and the yard. At a junk sale awhile back the hubby bought some bikes that he was going to fix. I have a new bike, and in the shed is our old bike. We put the daughter's bike out by the trash on the theory that scavengers will pick it up and put it to good use. There's no way it would sell. Sure enough, a guy in a pick up truck came and asked if we could have it. You could tell he had a hard life. Work clothes, old truck, upolstery on the truck repaired with duct tape. Since it was a weekend he had his daughter with him. She had cast off old clothing that didn't fit right. She was about 11. I commented to her as she used the truck lift to load the bike that it needed some work (flat tires), she responded "my daddy can fix it, he can fix anything." You could tell by her voice that she loved and respected her father.Then her voice even went up when my husband wheeled my old bike (better shape) around. "oooh that's my bike its just right for me"

I have students who drive cars better than mine. Heck one girl got a new car because she didn't make the cheerleading squad. I know I have rough kids. I know of kids we teach who teachers have bought coats and jackets for. I know of pools of money collected so a student can go to prom. I hope this girl and father get a few breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment