Friday, January 28, 2011

sssshhhh! education happening

Some students just cannot learn in a traditional classroom. Some need to make up work, (called "credit recovery"), some just are such discipline problems that cannot deal in classrooms.

I have one such student. I think he thought he would get out of class and work. I think he honestly thought this trip to coventry would be fun. I have complained "look he's all in the halls, he wanted to go there, if he has a temper trouble he should not be associating with the other students." On that issue, Oh Well..

The reason he is in the halls is, he can attend some classes then go to his exile. He comes in for labs in my class, but still I am required to be with him to help him work. I send the lessons and assignments in to the office for him. I still get the "I don't understand this." So I'm spending my entire planning period with him today to help him catch up. I am not cutting him any slack. I will not give him the answers, he had to read the right pages to me, answer the questions etc. All the while maintaining my professional and helpful demeanour. Finally he puts his head in his hands. "maaaan I don't get this, my head is starting to hurt."

"Good," I reply, "that means you're learning."

Later when I talked to the teacher who runs our little brig, her comment was "I heard you and thought I was going to loose it right there at the desk."

No comments:

Post a Comment